How to build an inclusive workforce
A new interactive "toolkit" makes it easier for Ohio employers to recruit, hire, and retain qualified workers with disabilities. "Hiring Ohioans with Disabilities: a Toolkit for Employers, Managers and Human Resource Professionals" was produced by Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS). It was created in response to a recommendation of the Ohi Workforce Integration Task Force (WIT), which Fover John R. Kasich and the Ohio General Assembly created in 2014. The toolkit is now available online at www.jfs.ohio.gov/HiringAbility
During the work of the WIT, it became evident that Ohio employers need a clear, consistent and practical resource that outlines how best to tap into the skilled and motivated workforce individuals with disabilities represent. Hiring Ohioans with Disabilities meets the need by compiling a great deal of information into one convenient, easily accessible location.
Employers can download the toolkit to learn about the following topics and more:
- Best practices from Ohio's top employers
- Tax incentives for hiring workers with disabilities
- Free sources of consultation and assistance
- Making reasonable workplace accommodations
- Offering more flexible work arrangements
- Interacting with people with disabilities
- Using job coaches to help workers with disabilities
- Managing disability leave
- Accommodating service animals in the workplace
- Set an expectation from the top-down about your businesses’ commitment to hiring people with disabilities.
- Incorporate disability into existing diversity committees within your business.
- Embed disability components into training for HR and new employees, and include disability in diversity training.
- Integrate the concepts, skills and results of your disability efforts into the fabric of the organization